Announcements from the Great East Japan Earthquake Restoration Support Headquarters
What is [Osaka University's] Great East Japan Earthquake Restoration Support Headquarters ? To see how the headquarters fits into the structure of the administration at Osaka University, please view this page .
IMPORTANT MESSAGE for International Students from the International Student Affairs Division
Dear International Students,
Following the Great East Japan Earthquake on March 11 and its aftermath, we fully understand and sympathize with the worries and concerns you have concerning both the current situation and the future of your studies in Japan. We also understand that some parents have asked students to return home.
However, despite all of the above, we'd like you to understand that the Spring Semester for the 2011-2012 school year will commence as scheduled on the 1st of April . Nonetheless, should you decide to take leave from Japan and your studies at Osaka University, this page is a reminder of necessary procedures and steps you must follow for temporary --or permanent-- leave from your studies in Japan.
For those of you looking for additional information to assist you in making a decision, the links below will provide you with information from a variety of sources that will assist you in making a wise decision.
- Prime Minister of Japan and his Cabinet
- Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT)
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan
- Ministry of Economy Trade and Industry
- Tsunami Information, Japan Meteorological Agency
Earthquake Information, Japan Meteorological Agency
- Regarding travel to Japan or returning to one's home country -- information from major countries [as of March 30, 2011]
Nuclear Power Plant Information
- NHK Radio
- The Multilingual support center for the Great Touhoku-Pacific Ocean Earthquake
- Research Institute for World Languages
Taking Temporary Leave from Japan
If you plan to leave Japan for a limited time, leave your belongings in your room, and come back and continue the exchange program at Osaka University, please be sure to do the following:
Apply for a re-entry permit from the Osaka
Immigration Bureau. (This is not necessary if you have a multiple-entry visa or already have a re-entry permit.)
Return all library books you have borrowed.
- Inform your home university, supervisor at Osaka University, the student affairs section of your school/graduate school, and the International Student Affairs Division of your departure and retuning date and an address where you can be contacted.
Important: Please note that, during your absence, you will continue to be responsible for payments of things such as room rent, National Health Insurance, internet, cell phone, utilities fees, etc.
Retuning Home (In cases where you will NOT be coming back)
If you plan to leave and not return to Osaka University in the foreseeable future, please be sure to do the following:
Report your departure date to the Accommodation Office and the
International Student Affairs Division
- Cancel all contracts, such as internet access, cell phone, room rent, utilities, etc., and make the necessary procedures for final payments.
- Return all library books you have borrowed.
- Go to City Hall for cancellation and payment adjustment of your National Health Insurance fees.
- Close your bank account at the branch where you opened your account.
Dispose of any large-scale garbage in the
proper way of the city you live in.
- Inform your home university, supervisor at Osaka University, the student affairs section of your school/graduate school, and the International Student Affairs Division of your departure date and an address where you can be contacted.
- Return your room to its original condition before check-out.
Return your alien registration card to
the Immigration Officer at the port or airport you depart from.
For additional information and/or questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Phone : +81-6-6879-7103
International Student Affairs Division, Osaka University