Live Locally, Grow Globally

Introduction to Osaka University

1. The History of Tekijuku--from Tekijuku to Osaka University


Tekijuku

OGATA Koan (1810-1863), the founder of Tekijuku, a "place of learning" that evolved into Osaka University, was a scholar, educator, and doctor, learned in the Western medicine of those days.

He opened Tekijuku, a "gakumonjo" ["place of study"], at Senba, Osaka, in 1838. For the next twenty-five years, until 1862, he dedicated himself to teaching young people. Learning of his caliber, the Edo government summoned him to Edo (now Tokyo) in 1862 and appointed him as a government doctor and president of “seiyo gakumonjo” [Place of Learning of Western Scholarship]. While Koan was away, his brother-in-law, children, and students managed Tekijuku. It prospered and developed branches; however, its continued expansion was brought to an end with the introduction of a new education system initiated by the Meiji government. In time, Tekijuku evolved into Osaka Prefecture Medical School, then into Osaka Prefecture University Hospital and finally into today’s Osaka University.

Tekijuku was filled with students from all over Japan. These students engaged in lively discussions and this academic atmosphere gave birth to many scholars who contributed significantly to shaping the destiny of Japan. Among them were FUKUZAWA Yukichi, OHTORI Keisuke, HASHIMOTO Sanai, OHMURA Masujiro, NAGAYO Sensai, SANO Tsunetami, and TAKAMATSU Ryoun.

For more information, go to the History of Osaka University page.

FUKUZAWA Yukichi

  OHTORI Keisuke

HASHIMOTO Sanai

OHMURA Masujiro

NAGAYO Sensai

Back to top